Text Size:

CPE compliance is based on the calendar year of January 1 to December 31. 

  • The Board recommends that 40 hours of CPE be secured annually.
  • However, Board Rules require a licensee to secure a minimum of 20 CPE hours in any given calendar. 
  • The minimum 20-hour requirement would be applicable only if the licensee has secured enough hours to meet the 120-hour rolling-three-year requirement. 
  • CPE credits must be secured within the calendar year unless an Extension has been granted. (An Extension Request allows a licensee to secure CPE credits after January 1 to make up for a deficiency during the previous year.

First Partial Year of Licensure

If the individual's initial license to practice was issued during the current calendar year, the WV CPA is exempt from securing CPE hours. 

Second and Third Years of Licensure

  • The newly licensed WV CPA must then secure and report a minimum of 40 hours the first full calendar year of licensure, and 
  • a minimum of 20 hours the second calendar year, and 
  • a 120-hour 3-year requirement with a minimum of 4 of the 120 hours in the subject of Ethics during the third calendar year.

Rolling-Three-Year Period

The individual's annual CPE is subsequently based on a 120-hour rolling three-year period -- meaning that CPE compliance will be based on a minimum of 120 hours secured during the current calendar year and the two previous years.  (For example: the first three-year period could include hours secured in 2016, 2017, and 2018; the next year CPE compliance period  would be based on hours secured in 2017, 2018, and 2019; and the next year CPE compliance period would be based on hours secured in 2018, 2019, and 2020, etc.) 

West Virginia CPA Who Has Located to Another State

  • A West Virginia CPA who has located to another State and is licensed in the new state of residence must secure and report CPE hours to the Board of Accountancy.
  • A West Virginia CPA who has located to another State, has continued to maintain a license to practice in West Virginia and is not licensed in his new state of residence must meet the CPE requirements of West Virginia to maintain a license. 


Page Updated: 1/18/2023 1:38:20 PM